The internet is evolving and the web industry is continuously transforming. The end goal of a site’s design is to draw in, engage, and convert visitors into a lead or a customer. Whether you’re a business owner looking to improve your website design, a tradie or home service business looking to get more leads, or a designer pursuing web projects, this post should set you on the right path for success in 2022!
In the following article we will cover 12 essential tips for better web design from knowing who your target audience is to understanding how user behaviour has changed over time.
Here are our OCD tips for 2022:
“Everything you see on the web is rooted in user behaviour. Did your visitor use the search box, or find you by searching for something terms related to yours?” ― Emily Lewis and Quincy Larson, The Minimalists: Web Design in 2015 (2015)
Our web design is created with visitors’ behaviour in mind. We understand that your visitors generally don’t read anything on your website. Instead, they will use it to find what they need quickly and easily.
The three factors that define the user are:
1. FOMO – Fear of missing out. People get FOMO when seeking inspiration for what to wear, where to eat, where to go on vacation – or in our case – how to get a great web design right now! You can use FOMO by adding social media icons on your website and labelling your website as “social media friendly” to give potential visitors a reason to click through.
2. AGE – It’s not just about the technology we use but also our age demographic as well. The most targeted age groups on the web are from 18-29 and 30-49 years old.
3. ATTENTION – We have so many messages and content at our fingertips that we can’t process all of it. That’s why users remain on one site for an average of only 20 seconds! What you do will determine whether your visitors read your entire text or skip over it. Good design makes the message easy to understand while still focusing on important elements.
As a designer, you have the power to use these three factors to your advantage and create a website that is both user-friendly and effective in reaching its goal of bringing in leads and making sales.
Using images with purpose (free graphics)
“Images are the way people make sense of complex ideas. A good image can help us make sense of a wide array of issues and create meaning. A bad image, whether intentionally or not, can cause us problems, misunderstandings, increased inter-group conflict, and war.” ― Bruce Mau
The impact that pictures have on our communication and the way we perceive things around us is hard to measure. But the messages we send through pictures are real.
Our website incorporates images that help visitors understand our services and find useful resources. Here are the benefits of using images on your web page:
1. Images make people trust your website more – A study shows that 72% of consumers say visual imagery helped them decide whether or not to buy a product.
2. Pictures speak louder than words – A carefully crafted image can leave a much stronger impression than text content on your site.
3. Images bring spark to your site – People are drawn by vivid images and the way they are presented. This can be a huge benefit for your website if you have a strong graphic designer who can create visual content for your site.
4. Images help people remember a website – Studies show that images are the most effective medium for marketing. When you put an image on your website, 92% of viewers recall it within 3 days of visiting.
5. Using images means more clicks – A great graphic design means more traffic and therefore more potential leads, sales, and conversions! It’s all about using your website to its maximum potential; using an image to do so is one of the best ways to do so!
6. Don’t underestimate the power of graphics – Studies show that people retain about 50% of what they see through images and onto their long term memory. Make your images count!
Using videos (with purpose)
“A video is like an anchor in a sea of text.” ― Sheryl Sandberg, “Lean In: Women, Work & the Will to Lead” (2013)
Technology has come a long way in the last couple years bringing with it better and more effective ways to reach our audience. A video can be used to communicate complex ideas and answers any questions visitors may have. From adding value to your site, videos can be so much more than simply a pretty face as you are using them for a purpose.
Video is a proven way to engage and convert visitors today.
Here are the benefits of using videos on your website:
1. Videos help people remember your website – The same study cited above shows that people recall up to 92% of what they see through video. When you put an image on your website, 92% of viewers recall it within 3 days of visiting. When you use video, viewers will see it within 3 minutes! For better or worse, the impact is much more significant and lets visitors know what services you provide.
“A good visual says more than a thousand words.” ― Paul Rand, “The Design of Business” (1973)
2. Videos bring greater visual attention to your website and improve conversion – Studies show that when you add a video to your website, visitors are 34% more likely to click on an image or graphic. If a potential visitor clicks through, they will be more likely to convert than if they didn’t watch the video.
3. Videos allow potential customers to hear your voice – If a customer is looking for information on one of your products or services, having a video gives them the impression that you are experienced and confident in your product and services.
4. Videos can be spun as discussion features instead of just marketing features – Studies show that by adding a video to your site, you increase engagement with visitors by 45%.
5. Videos help you stand out from the crowd – Today, 68% of marketers use video on their website. In order to stand out and get noticed, adding video to your site is a great option.
6. Videos are not just for marketing – It’s easy to see how you can use a video as a marketing tool to reach visitors and convert them into leads and sales. But videos can be used in different creative ways that customers may not expect! For example, adding an explainer video can be used as engagement on social media channels like Youtube, Google+ or Vimeo! In fact, visual content is the #1 type of shared content on social media! “People want videos to help them understand something better. Videos are particularly effective for the following:
- Product training
- Technical support
- Educational content
7. Videos can add value to your website – Videos can show how your products or services relate to each other and how they work together. It is a great way to “teach” potential leads about your business without having them actually come in and see what you have to offer. Video is also used as a way to convey other types of information like testimonials, FAQs and more! And of course, videos can be spun as discussion features instead of just marketing features.
You need to think of your web design and your websites function to engage, entice and inform your visitors/prospect into taking action. If your website is not converting, not bringing new business, not building on your brands equity or anything else that doesn’t add value to your business, then it’s not performing its duty and has not been designed with that in mind.
If you’re looking for web design in Perth with an international standard then you have come to the right place. We have clients ranging from Perth to Sydney and all the way in Vancouver, and we ensure we understand YOUR business.